The 19th edition of the European Conference on Integrated Optics (ECIO) took place on April 03-05, 2017, at Eindhoven University of Technology, in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
The conference featured over 100 talks from international academic experts on topics of interest, such as Waveguide technology and platforms, Devices and materials, Integrated Circuits, Application of Photonic Integrated Circuits. Furthermore, Leading edge research from IBM, Hewlett Packard, Oclaro, Seagate, ST microelectronics, NTT Japan and others were presented.
The first day, April 03, featured special sessions on Devices, Advanced Materials, Monolithic Circuits, Nanophotonics, Telecoms Devices, Nonlinear & Quantum and Receivers.
On April 04, the talks focused on Mid Infrared Devices, Analog Photonics, Datacomm, Hybrid Integration, Electro-Optic Devices, Photonic Sensors and Open Access PIC Technology.
The third day included sessions on Applications and Membrane & MEMS, as well as a joint-session with OWTNM.
Besides the talks, ECIO 2017 also hosted an exhibition, where SMART Photonics, PhoeniX Software, VPIphotonics, NKT Photonics, Light Tec, Photon Design, OpTek Systems, VLC Photonics, AMOs, Raith and EPIC were present.
Find more about the prize winners here.
Waveguide technology and platforms
- Silicon photonics
- III-V optoelectronics
- Compound semiconductors
- Membrane photonics, wafer and die bonding technologies
- Dielectric and polymer photonics
- Non-linear and electro-optic materials
- Mid and far infrared, THz
- Production methods and foundry concepts
Devices and materials
- Waveguide devices – fibres, waveguides, multiplexers, diffractive optical elements
- Functional devices – switches, buffers, programmable filters, isolators, polarizers
- Nonlinear devices – wavelength converters, mixers and regenerators
- Plasmonic waveguides and devices
- Nanophotonics, photonic crystals, subwavelength and metamaterials
- Active devices – lasers and laser arrays to amplifiers, modulators and detectors
- New Materials for Photonics: graphene and 2D materials, phase change materials
- Assembly, packaging and hybrid integration techniques
- Test and characterisation of photonic integrated circuits
- Optical connectivity – fiber-attachment, waveguides, micro-benches and free-space
- Electronic connectivity
- Flip chip bonding
- Quantum and high precision photonics
- Optomechanical devices and micro and nano electro mechanical systems
Application of PICs
- Tele/datacom communication, optical interconnects
- Biological, chemical and other sensing transducers
- Quantum computing
- Free-space optical communications
- Photonic A/D conversion, logic, memories
- Data storage, imaging, display and beyond
If you want to be kept up to date about The European Conference on Integrated Optics, subscribe to our newsletter.